I am a Computer Science Graduate student at Stony Brook University, New York. I’m a technology enthusiast who loves digging deep into various aspects of computer science.
I started contributing to Linux kernel about a few years back and interned under Jonathan Corbet. If you wish to read about my project CLICK HERE
OPEN SOURCE CONTRIBUTIONS:
- Speaker/Presenter at –
- Open Source Summit, Europe 
- Open Source summit and Automotive Grade Linux, Tokyo 
- Open source summit and ELC, Edinburgh 
- Open source summit, North America 
- Linux Kernel intern 
- Contributed to Linux kernel, Wikimedia, Mozilla foundation and other open source platforms
- Kernel patches: https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/staging.git/log/?h=staging-testing&qt=grep&q=sayli+karnik
- Published article – https://opensource.com/article/18/8/first-linux-kernel-patch
- Participant in the Eudyptula challenge
- Master’s in computer science, Stony Brook University [2019-2021]
- Bachelor of engineering (Computer Science), Sardar Patel institute of technology (CGPA 8.6) [2013-2017]
- Mathematical problem solver: Developed an AI based application which allows users to capture images of mathematical expressions and solves them using a computational engine. Technical paper titled ‘Mathematical equation solver using OCR’ presented at university paper presentation event. 
- Document clustering: Demonstrated clustering of similar documents using K-means algorithm and Hadoop as a part of the Big Data course. 
- Personal Security Tracker: Created an Android app called ‘SoS’ with quick screen gestures to allow users to send alerts to emergency contacts in suspicious situations along with location tracking and a siren alarm provision to seek help in dangerous situations. 
- Expert system: Built a movie recommendation system in Prolog using the concept of collaborative filtering. 
- Operating Systems: Wrote a Linux device driver for a USB pen-drive(Transcend) on a self-built kernel. 
- Distributed systems: Implemented a Load Balancer using the round robin algorithm. 
- Packet sniffing: Implemented interception and logging of traffic that passes over a network in Python. 
- Brain skills testing games: Developed a set of games that tested various brain skills like quickness, spatial skills, response etc. as a part of OOP course. 
- Image processing: Implemented image filters using image convolution and FFT techniques. 
- Cyber Snooping project: Drafted an extensive report on the study of cyber snooping by firms, governments and countries working in a team of 5. 
- Technology analyst at Credit Suisse, India [2017-2019]
Co-developed and maintained various components (Java/Spring boot, Angular) of a large scale Distributed system for real-time settlement of trades. I was also responsible for carrying out crucial sysadmin tasks and driving innovative solutions to recurring platform issues.
- Linux kernel intern at the Linux Foundation [May 2017 – Aug 2017]
Merged 52 patches to the areas like memory management, I/O, documentation builds, device drivers, locking mechanisms, Linux APIs, code quality and bugs of the Linux kernel tree.
- Head of the Programmer’s Incorporation – PI Club of SPIT. [2015-16]
- In the Mozilla – Kinto (IRC: #kinto) contributor’s team. (https://github.com/orgs/Kinto/people) 
- Google student scholar – GHC 2019
- Google grant awardee – Attended USENIX SRE conference, Germany. 
- Featured in IT newsletters (APAC, EMEA divisional) for technological contributions to my firm. 
- Received the ‘Star IT Excellence award – 2018’ among all India employees at Credit Suisse. 
- Authored an article on ‘Linux kernel patching’ for opensource.com, a RedHat website. 
- Volunteer at Grace Hopper celebrations India – GHCI, sponsored by Credit Suisse 
- Part of the FOSS (Free and open-source software) Outreachy community.
- Conducted workshops on hosting, open source, basics in operating systems at my university [2016-17]
- Android app for ‘Expense Tracking’ was shortlisted among the top 5 apps at Credit Suisse. 
- Taught Science/English to children at Abhyudaya – an NGO in Mumbai.